Banana Poppy Seed Cupcakes!
Hola! I recently got a huge bag of poppy seed at the market, and I just had to bake something with these crunchy wonderful seeds. The usual flavor that comes to mind is lemon, but I had a perfectly ripe banana sitting there that begged to be baked as well, so I had no choice but to mix the two of them. So here's an easy recipe with those two ingredients in mind:
BANANA POPPY SEED CUPCAKES
- 1 cup flour
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used brown)
- 8 tbsp butter (melted or browned)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare cupcake liners.
- If you are going to use browned butter, in a small saucepan melt the stick over low-medium heat until it becomes golden brown and the milk solids have separated. Let it cool a little bit.
- In a bowl, smash the banana using your whisk or a fork, then add egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- Slowly incorporate the melted butter into the liquid ingredients while mixing them together, this is to prevent the egg from curdling if the butter is still warm.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well and finally add lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and bake until an inserted toothpick comes clean (and top is slightly brown) for:
- CUPCAKES: 15-20 minutes
- MINI CUPCAKES: 10-15 minutes
- MINI CUPCAKE MACHINE: 9-10 minutes
- You can let them cool and frost them with lemon buttercream, dip them in chocolate, cream cheese or eat them with no toppings while they are still warm.
As usual, my recommendation is to have them with a cup of tea, these lil' guys are great for a mid-day snack, a bread-and-coffee kind of breakfast or just at any time, really, since you can top them with lots of different things! Hope you guys can try them out. Next time I'll share a savory waffle recipe or if I get my procrastinating self to finally finish the travel tip post I'll do that as well.